2011 NEI for wildland fire and SmartFire v2 / BlueSky Workshop
Held at the EPA Emissions Inventory Conference 2012 in Tampa, Florida
August 13, 2012 8:30a-12p Regency Ballroom #7
Sim Larkin, USFS AirFire, larkin (at) fs.fed.us, 206-732-7849
Sean Raffuse, Sonoma Technology, Inc., sraffuse (at) sonomatech.com, 707-665-9900
- Familiarize attendees with new timeline and process options for the 2011 wildland fire NEI
- Clarify what data is useful, and how, where, and when it can be submitted
- Explain the emissions processing to be done
We do not speak for the EPA and information presented here and/or included in the training is based on our negotiated understanding with the EPA. What we can promise is that if you work with us, we will complete a revised 2011 national emissions inventory that you can take and use as you see fit.
Take away messages
- Your local data on wildland fires (both wildfires and prescribed fires) is important. No system can produce good results without good inputs.
- We would like to work with you to make sure that it is easy as possible for you to submit your data and to extract the maximum possible utility of the data you submit.
- You will be able to review the results of including your data and submit changes.
- We hope that this new process of including your datasets up front serves as a model for the EPA to follow in the future.
Submitting your data to the 2011 wildland fire NEI.
- Submit your data to us in any format.
- We would like datasets by November 1, 2012 if possible.
- A few weeks after you submit your data, we will give you a written assessment of the data including what utility and impact we believe it will have for the NEI.
- By February 1, 2013 we will have a revised draft NEI for you to review.
- You will be able to accept the revised draft NEI, or submit changes to specific fires back, or choose to revert back to the previous draft NEI as you deem best.
- A reprocessed NEI that includes your changes (if any) will be submitted to the EPA for inclusion in the 2011 NEI version 1 due out June 2013.
Powerpoints and handouts
Agenda with links to slides:
- 2011 NEI Process Options
- Emissions Processing:
Other Workshop materials:
- Sim Larkin, USFS AirFire, larkin (at) fs.fed.us, 206-732-7849
- Sean Raffuse, Sonoma Technology, Inc., sraffuse (at) sonomatech.com, 707-665-9900